Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We've moved to: https://forum.icmforum.com
You should have received a PM with a temporary password.
If you have issues logging into the new forum go here
If you can log in to the new forum then please post any questions or concerns THERE
We will be checking here regularly for questions and problems, but less frequently as time goes by, you can always PM us (AdamH, mightysparks or PeacefulAnarchy) on Icheckmovies or send an email to Admin@ this url.
Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
How do you feel about the possibility of this list being official?
It should be official in addition to the current Top 500 Horror list. 18 (25%)
It should be official replacing the Top 500 Horror list. 23 (31.9%)
It should be official, I don't care if it replaces the Top 500 Horror list. 15 (20.8%)
I don't care if this list is official or not. 4 (5.6%)
I think this list should not be official. 12 (16.7%)
Total Votes: 72
They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?; Development of a horror canon
Topic Started: Apr 18 2014, 10:20:25 AM (28,171 Views)
mightysparks
Member Avatar
Vegetable Rights and Peace
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I woke up today with an idea to make a horror version of TSPDT so I've been a man on a mission all day. This is the current version: http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/they+shoot+zombies+dont+theyquestion/mightysparks/

It will very likely change if I find better lists or a better way of calculating the rankings.

To see which lists I've used, see this link.

They are weighted differently depending on their source and type. If you find any kind of 'best/greatest/most [influential/scary/etc] horror movies' list then I want it! This includes all time lists, subgenre lists, regional lists or decade lists. The only thing that isn't really useful are lists that are basically 'every horror film ever made' type of lists.

I am also on the lookout for lists regarding horror in the 21st century for a 21st century list - this includes 'best horror of [insert year]' type of lists, so those are useful to me too. I'm not working on that list at the moment, but I'm beginning to gather lists in preparation.

Lists that still need to be made (if anyone is bored and in the mood to make a list, it would help me out tons :whistling: ):
Den of Geek's Best Horror Movies of the 21st Century (2018)
Golden Spiral Media's Best Farming Horror Movies (2018)
Horror Homeroom's Five Snowy Horror Films You May Not Know About (2016)
Les ingoruptibles' Top 10 des meilleurs films dĺhorreur de 2012 (2013)
Les ingoruptibles' Top 5 des meilleurs films dĺhorreur de 2014 (2015)
Les ingoruptibles' Top 5 des meilleurs films dĺhorreur de 2016 (2016)
Les ingoruptibles' Top 5 des meilleurs films dĺhorreur de 2017 (2018)
Les ingoruptibles' Top des meilleurs films dĺhorreur de 2013 (2014)
MovieFone's 14 Bloodiest Horror Movies Ever Made (2018)
Parade's 5 Must-Watch Horror Films Directed By Women (2017)
Yo! Vizag's 5 must watch horror movies that you need to watch ASAP (2018)

Further help: reviews and images for the website: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-VKyX4j90InQTToYlEvjk4jNpj1qy2TkABFNO58zTGI/edit#gid=0

Thanks to alyxstarr, ChrisReynolds, CMT, Daviddoes, frbrown, kingink, melvelet and Timec for helping me out making lists!
Edited by mightysparks, Apr 21 2018, 01:57:23 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The problem with horror films (most genre films really) is that appreciation of hardcore genre films lies in the details. Some films I give 8/10, others 4/10, but the difference isn't all the great. Some small elements that make a film fail or work. And what works for me, doesn't work for others at all, so you end up with low averages. The films that surface usually aren't true genre films, but bigger, more expensive films incorporating genre elements. Which is why those same 300 films keep surfacing I think.

Also: you're nuts. (all that work) :blink:

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Yeah, I know :( I've been doing this for 7 hours straight and I'm exhausted now.

The lists only really differ when it's the hardcore fans submitting lists because non-horror fans will always have the staples; The Shining, Psycho, Rosemary's Baby etc. But it's so hard to find horror lists and part of the reason why I included all the individual lists as well - to pad it out with some different films. Hopefully I'll come across more lists in my travels.

Also, I was happy to find there's quite a few I haven't seen on this top 1000. Have 139 unchecked :)
Edited by mightysparks, Apr 18 2014, 10:40:53 AM.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm only at 400 checks, I missed most of the oldies I guess.

Not sure what films like Birdemic or Poultryghost are doing in the list though ...

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great list mighty! I have 264 unchecked so I have a lot to watch. I'm in a horror mood these days but I'll focus on a bunch of new horror films hoping to find some good ones.

I just finished the first season of Masters of horror and I was very pleased with it. I still can't believe that Argento's Jenifer was the worst of the whole season... I love you Argento but...

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Oh that reminds me that I was disappointed at the lack of new horror in the lists. From 2000s+, I mean. I wish there were more horror critics regularly making lists. I wanted to find some time-based lists like 'best horror of 2013' or 'best horror of 2000s', but haven't bothered looking yet. I've weighted those lists 'low' since they're specific, same with subgenre lists. Still need to mess around with the weighting and point system coz I have no idea what to use. I just put in some values for now to get it started.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Bambi is a horror movie? :ph43r:

mightysparks
Member Avatar
jvv
Apr 18 2014, 11:47:23 AM
Bambi is a horror movie? :ph43r:
Some people vote for weird crap :( The Bambi vote came from this guy's list: http://rephrase.net/flim/list/corliss25horror. Unfortunately a lot of 1 votes plague the bottom half of the list.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Can't give you a ranked list, but if you're looking for some inspiration: 131 horror flicks, rated 4* and higher (out of 5) and post 2000

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by Onderhond, Apr 18 2014, 12:06:42 PM.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
All lists are good! I was tempted to make my own 'best of the decade' list but I've already got three of my own lists in there, so should probably avoid it for a while :P

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
cool list, mighty. I've seen 401. Highest unchecked: Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
kingink
Apr 18 2014, 11:40:31 AM
Great list mighty! I have 264 unchecked so I have a lot to watch. I'm in a horror mood these days but I'll focus on a bunch of new horror films hoping to find some good ones.

I just finished the first season of Masters of horror and I was very pleased with it. I still can't believe that Argento's Jenifer was the worst of the whole season... I love you Argento but...
Really? I didn't think Jenifer was that bad.

This is how I ranked the entire series, the last 3 are by far the worst of the entire bunch: http://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/masters-of-horror-from-best-to-worst-1/

And I've only not seen 218 on that list, mighty, I don't know how anyone has the patience to do all that so good job!

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
http://www.listsofbests.com/list/95617-cult-labs-forums-best-horror-films-year-by-year is an annual top horror list going from 1960 to 2009. The source is listed in the description.

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
mightysparks
Apr 18 2014, 11:46:45 AM
Oh that reminds me that I was disappointed at the lack of new horror in the lists. From 2000s+, I mean. I wish there were more horror critics regularly making lists. I wanted to find some time-based lists like 'best horror of 2013' or 'best horror of 2000s', but haven't bothered looking yet. I've weighted those lists 'low' since they're specific, same with subgenre lists. Still need to mess around with the weighting and point system coz I have no idea what to use. I just put in some values for now to get it started.
as TSPDT is your inspiration, perhaps the next step is a version of the 21st Century list. guess it depends if you can source enough 'best horror of the year' lists from the past 15 yrs

also have you got an easy way to tally which directors feature most on the top 1000 you've made?

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Can't even fill up a top 1000 properly, probably too early to start talking about a 21st century list :P

I have to put the list on IMDb and then export to get directors, so I haven't done that yet. I'm still making changes so not going to do that right now.

Leopardi
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
Cool list, Mighty! I'm missing 304 (shameful!), and the highest on the list for me is Odishon.

You have the TV series Twin Peaks on the list at 951, was this intentional, or should it be lumped in with Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me? I didn't see any other full TV series on there but I might have missed them.

Leopardi
Member Avatar
Director
 *  *  *  *  * ]
I guess there's the Criterion Forum's horror list:
http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11834&start=1175
But I think you need to be a forum member to view the list and it's pretty standard stuff there. Still, maybe worth a look.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
I haven't excluded anything from the list at the moment, so Twin Peaks is fine for now. Thanks for the extra list, will add it later.

Split the posts so I can track this in another thread. If you have any personal lists or find any around the interwebz then I want them, so post 'em here :P I'm gonna update the OP in a minute with all the current lists I'm using.

Onderhond
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mightysparks
Apr 18 2014, 01:18:52 PM
I haven't excluded anything from the list at the moment, so Twin Peaks is fine for now. Thanks for the extra list, will add it later.

Split the posts so I can track this in another thread. If you have any personal lists or find any around the interwebz then I want them, so post 'em here :P I'm gonna update the OP in a minute with all the current lists I'm using.
If you want I can rank my list later tonight ... I have most of the rankings at home anyway.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Ranked lists are generally better, but I'm happy with either kind of list (and user submitted lists are weighted lower than the others, so I'm not sure what kind of effect that has). Also preferably made on IMDb or include IMDb links otherwise it takes me ages to make all the lists :P

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Oh and if anyone has any suggestions on what to use for a point and ranking system plz help. I'm getting some weird distributions with my 'testing' one. I'm using mjf's program, so I'm just using half life 50 and changing the number of points for #1 depending on whether I've classified a list as low/med/high [quality].

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
I am no Horror fan really but have seen 369/1000 Dellamorte Dellamore being the highest I have not seen but that is on the BADmovies list apparently!

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Suggestion, to include Horror films listed on general Critics lists and TSPDT itself, and give them due rating.

Marazmatique
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
Awesome idea and awesome list! The bottom of it really is funny though. Vertigo just HAS to be on every top list possible. tehe

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Cippenham
Apr 18 2014, 01:47:42 PM
Suggestion, to include Horror films listed on general Critics lists and TSPDT itself, and give them due rating.
Well it is a favorite of mine, so that should tell you what kind of a film it is.

It's bizarre and funny. One of those self-aware kind of b-movies.

Rad82
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
brokenface
Apr 18 2014, 12:27:43 PM
cool list, mighty. I've seen 401. Highest unchecked: Dellamorte Dellamore/Cemetery Man
Dellamorte Dellamore is imo amazing. Go watch it asap people.
It's rare to find an arthouse horror flick of this quality out there.

Anyhow nice list, I've only seen 252 of these, highest unchecked is Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).
I feel quite inexperienced, as a horror fan, long way to go. :P

PS : Feel free to get ideas from my small ranked horror list, though you've probably seen all:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls053637355/
Edited by Rad82, Apr 18 2014, 02:31:53 PM.

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Rad82
Apr 18 2014, 02:30:14 PM
Anyhow nice list, I've only seen 252 of these, highest unchecked is Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974).
I feel quite inexperienced, as a horror fan, long way to go. :P
I'm not a horror fan but that film is amazing. Although Malick didn't admit it, it's obviously a very influential film for him:

Posted Image
Posted Image

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Urgh, I've just found a heap more and thinking I should really rethink how I'm classifying them. I just don't know :(

There aren't a lot of 'Best Horror Movies Ever' lists around, aside from a few fairly standard top 50s or top 100s. There are quite a few 'best modern/of the 2000s/this year' kind of lists, but I didn't want them to have as big a weighting as those including ALL. Then there are a lot of subgenre types as well. And then, I don't know if some critic or book or site is high caliber coz I don't follow any of them and blah.

And cheers for the list, Rad. Will add it to the pile.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Are you really adding personal lists? Because then I could always offer my best horror list in order to make your list a bit better :P

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls055151037/

Lonewolf2003
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Very cool list. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Checked 290 of them.

Must have been a crazy amount of work. :woot: 'Wish I could help you. But don't know how to rank them either.

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I find this list already very good as it is. I've seen 551 of them (first unseen : La maschera del demonio. I need to explore Bava's cinema).
It's quite wide-ranging, yet always horror-related. As always with labels, one will find movies they do not consider as true horror. but on a 1000 titles list, the label definition needs to be lax, it allows the inclusion of interesting titles on the fringe of the genre.

I think anybody interested in movies should watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre, a true classic nowadays and an excellent movie. I also strongly recommend Dellamore Dellamorte, which is quite brilliant.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
kingink
Apr 18 2014, 02:58:17 PM
Are you really adding personal lists? Because then I could always offer my best horror list in order to make your list a bit better :P

Yeah, I don't see why not. Already using your list, but haven't downloaded an updated version so will get that now.

kingink
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mightysparks
Apr 18 2014, 03:08:15 PM
kingink
Apr 18 2014, 02:58:17 PM

Yeah, I don't see why not. Already using your list, but haven't downloaded an updated version so will get that now.
:thumbsup:

ChrisReynolds
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I've seen 682 (highest unseen is The Unknown (1927))

I'd recommend increasing the half-life much more (to something like 75 to 150), because otherwise the films towards the end of the longest lists (which are typically the most interesting) get a negligible amount of points and single vote films can creep into the list.

Other lists you might consider adding:
Final Girl Shocktoberfest poll
Hidden Horror: A Celebration of 101 Underrated and Overlooked Fright Flicks
Saturn Award for Best Horror / Thriller Film
Videohound's Horror Show: 999 Hair-Raising, Hellish, and Humorous Movies
Horror Cinema - TASCHEN
Stephen King's "Danse Macabre"
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue: Featured Movies
Den of Geek: The 25 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Added a bunch of new lists but having trouble with the filmcounter thing so can't update it yet. I added the lists I still have to make to the OP coz I can't be bothered making any more today. I'll update those as I find them and if anyone else has a list-making urge then they can make them for me :P

My fingers were hurting so much from typing and making these lists earlier that I decided to try speech recognition. I was doing an alphabetical list and I got to 'The Blob' and it wouldn't recognise 'blob' at all, so I sat shouting at it for 5 minutes as it came up with 'blonde', 'longer', 'for more' etc until I gave up and went back to typing :(

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Great idea! The top 500 list has hits and misses. A list containing 1,000 titles may be a bit much too. Maybe 500 titles? Since the TSPDT 1,000 list encompasses all genres. But would like to see this list. Should be great.

mightysparks
Member Avatar
Well, my main motivation was because it's really hard to find good horror lists. When I find lists I've either seen all of them, or I just don't know where to start (because they're not ranked) or it's like this one niggly little title keeps coming up and either I forget it or I still wonder if it's really worth seeing. It's not really a TSPDT companion or copy, I just liked the idea of a huge canon just for horror and then I thought of the name and thought it was awesome.

te18
Member Avatar
"duff means the butt"
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yeah I'd say stick with the 1000, makes it much more fun for people to follow. It's an inspired idea by the way and with 588 films left to check, a pretty worthy addition to my watch-list.

Of course, if the "same 300" bothers you that much, you could always be sneaky and remove them :shifty:

In many ways, having another, lesser-known 300 in the place of those films that pretty much everyone has seen would only improve the list as a resource and a challenge.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
Fantastic Cinema (Peter Nicholls) 700 fantasy/horror/sci-fi films is another list on ICM, the Horror on that could be included

http://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/fantastic+cinema+peter+nicholls++700+fantasyslashhorrorslashsci-fi+films/badge/

1SO
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
This is the kind of list I hope becomes official. A great collection from my favorite genre.

636 checks
Highest Unchecked: Curse of Frankenstein

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · List Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone