Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We've moved to: https://forum.icmforum.com
You should have received a PM with a temporary password.
If you have issues logging into the new forum go here
If you can log in to the new forum then please post any questions or concerns THERE
We will be checking here regularly for questions and problems, but less frequently as time goes by, you can always PM us (AdamH, mightysparks or PeacefulAnarchy) on Icheckmovies or send an email to Admin@ this url.
Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
New Forum transition information
Topic Started: Jul 7 2018, 04:02:09 PM (1,764 Views)
PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The day of transition is upon us. I will use this thread to keep everyone informed of what's going on.

Here's the expected timeline:

At around 11PM GMT (7PM EDT) The forum will become read only. You will still be able to read threads and access PMs, but will not be able to post. We are here!

About 3-4 hours later I should complete the download. At this point I will verify the data and if it's all good begin clean up for conversion. I will update this thread and create a new forum section for transition discussion. You will be able to post in this new section only.

About 3-4 hours after that I should be done clean up and move on to importing the forum. The import process takes 1-2 hours. After that I'll fix up the settings on the new forum and make sure it's ready.

When everything is ready 6-10 hours after the forum is taken offline, everyone should receive a PM with their password to the new forum and a link to access it. You'll also receive an email with general (but no specific personal) information about the transition.

At that point you should be able to post normally in the new forum. Search will not be available initially, but should be available within 24 hours.

Notes about the transition:
*Poll results and thread subtitles will not transfer.
*Personal information will not transfer. This means old PMs will only be available here, your password will need to be changed (you can change it back to what you have here), you will need to manually move over your signature and avatar.
*Avatars in the new forum are restricted to 250heightx150witdth. This is bigger than here (150x150) however avatars here get resized whereas on the new forum the need to be the correct size before they can be used. You can resize your image in any image program or upload it to imgur and resize it there.
*The styles on the new forum are not 100% and will be tweaked, so there will be a thread there for feedback.

Feel free to ask questions here.

The timeline above is not particularly ambitious, but it does assume everything goes correctly. I will update this thread as I go through things. Having done three test transitions now I don't expect any major problems.

For anyone unaware what this is all about there's more info about what's been going on the last two months here:
http://www.icmforum.com/topic/10534946/
http://www.icmforum.com/topic/10537203/
http://www.icmforum.com/topic/10519696/
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jul 7 2018, 11:10:10 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
PeacefulAnarchy
Jul 7 2018, 04:02:09 PM
At around 11PM GMT (7PM EDT) The forum will become read only. You will still be able to read threads and access PMs, but will not be able to post.
This is about 7 hours from this post for the time zone challenged.

Post Transition information:
The new transition forum section will remain the only open part of this board, as a place for any old members who are having trouble logging in to the new forum to get help accessing their account.
This zetaboards, later tapatalk, version of the forum will be available at http://old.icmforum.com for as long as tapatalk lets it exist.
Registration will be closed here at the time noted above and will not reopen. Registration at the new forum will be turned off for a few days after which it will reopen.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jul 7 2018, 04:15:17 PM.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Note to self: Find a different way to occupy your Saturday afternoon/evening than playing on the forum...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

I guess I should take the new height avatar limit to my advantage.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
maxwelldeux
Jul 7 2018, 04:49:17 PM
Note to self: Find a different way to occupy your Saturday afternoon/evening than playing on the forum...
I know this is a bold suggestion, but maybe watch a movie? :P

flaiky
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Cool. Thanks so much for all your time and effort working on this, I'm sure it will all go smoothly.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
jvv
Jul 7 2018, 05:26:25 PM
maxwelldeux
Whoa whoa whoa. Let's not get crazy with these suggestions... :whistling:

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
maxwelldeux
Jul 7 2018, 05:33:25 PM
jvv
maxwelldeux
Good time to check off those long ones. Seen Satantango yet? Maybe you can even squeeze in Berlin Alexanderplatz. :o

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Jul 7 2018, 05:43:13 PM
maxwelldeux
jvv
maxwelldeux
Good time to check off those long ones. Seen Satantango yet? Maybe you can even squeeze in Berlin Alexanderplatz. :o
I dunno. With the DtC Challenge this month, I figured I'd just get through Die zweite Heimat - Chronik einer Jugend this evening. tehe

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
maxwelldeux
Jul 7 2018, 06:05:58 PM
joachimt
maxwelldeux
jvv
maxwelldeux
I dunno. With the DtC Challenge this month, I figured I'd just get through Die zweite Heimat - Chronik einer Jugend this evening. tehe
How pedestrian. Try being a REAL film buff and watch Logistics (2012) instead.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
OldAle1
Jul 7 2018, 06:16:21 PM
maxwelldeux
Jul 7 2018, 06:05:58 PM
joachimt
maxwelldeux
jvv
maxwelldeux
How pedestrian. Try being a REAL film buff and watch Logistics (2012) instead.
It's actually fairly short in this form
https://logisticsartproject.com/

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Thanks Zetaboards for the seven years we've had on here. I know there were a number of issues (no mobile version etc) but it was good for us to have a free forum for so long.

Feel sorry for the staff on the Zeta support forum who have been totally let down and for all the admins, mods and members on other forums. Particularly ones who might not have an option to move to anywhere else and get stuck with Tapatalk.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully, with phpBB! Thanks everyone for sticking with us so far and hopefully we'll have a nice new forum tomorrow. (l)

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
And thank all of you long time members, mods and admins who welcomed all of us IMDb refugees and made us realize pretty quickly what we'd been missing for the past several years. Hope it gets even better from here on out!

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Thanks and CU tomorrow (I hope).

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I need someone to help me make sure I correctly turn off posting in 10 minutes. Reply here and I'll PM you when I change the settings asking you to try to make a post.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
OK I'm game.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
Roger roger

Beaten by Ale
Edited by Armoreska, Jul 7 2018, 11:00:24 PM.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Alright, I'll PM you both in a couple of minutes and we'll check.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Sorry everyone, this will take a bit longer than expected.

Armoreska
Member Avatar
AWOL student
Welcome back?

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Alright after a bunch of false starts everything is exported correctly. I need to sleep and when I wake up I'll fix everything up.

For the curious: In the test exports you may remember a few threads were missing, my assumption was that it was caused by people posting, but apparently it wasn't that, it was people viewing (specifically the "x viewing this topic" message in each forum under the view count). I noticed an issue right away when the first export finished but it took me a while to figure out what was causing it and a while more to change the settings so it wouldn't happen. I've checked the export and it looks good, so, my needing sleep aside, everything should be smooth from here. I'll provide an update and ETA when I wake up, but 6PM to 8PM GMT sounds right. For now I leave you this thread and forum section to discuss, I'll answer any questions when I wake up.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Posts in this thread from here on or other posts in this section will not transfer over, obviously. This section will remain open even after transition for people who have trouble logging in to the new forum or other such issues.

The rest of the forum should be read only.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jul 8 2018, 12:19:40 PM.

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Thanks for all the hard work, Peaceful. :worship:

--

Those who usually post on the weekly reviews thread each Sunday may want to click here for a discussion about what to do this week.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Great job, PA!

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm back. Will work on things after breakfast. Hoping for three hours from now, will update in a while.

Started working on things, so far so good.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jul 8 2018, 04:14:53 PM.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
common html remnants replaced with bbcode. Now working on the stray elements.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
What happened to update 4?

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
AdamH
Jul 8 2018, 04:56:23 PM
Update 4 was me saying I'm pretty sure my change to fix the export worked, but it hadn't actually finished exporting, just the index in the everscrolling window seemed to indicate it went ok. I messed things up when I wrote update 5 because I was half asleep at that point and accidentally erased update 4.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jul 8 2018, 05:14:53 PM.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
PeacefulAnarchy
Jul 8 2018, 05:14:01 PM
AdamH
Jul 8 2018, 04:56:23 PM
Update 4 was me saying I'm pretty sure my change to fix the export worked, but it hadn't actually finished exporting, just the index in the everscrolling window seemed to indicate it went ok. I messed things up when I wrote update 5 because I was half asleep at that point and accidentally erased update 4.
Make sure you get enough sleep, PA. Take it easy. We can wait one more day.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I slept don't worry. I went to sleep after update 4, woke up for update 5 double checked the number of threads posted the update and went back to sleep.

Currently finishing up fixing the embedded video links
After that I've got the html entity codes, the internal links and a few smaller things.

My estimate is 2 hours more or less from now.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Jul 8 2018, 05:49:25 PM.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Yeah PA make sure you get sleep etc. Seemed like you were barely away from the forum overnight.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Friends don't let friends build websites without sleep.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I slept 7 hours: 3hrs, woke up for an update, then slept another 4. That's pretty normal for me, including the waking up in the middle of the night.

HTML remnants all fixed up.
On to fixing links and html entity codes.

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Random post because of the forum moving and no threads being open but I know there are many Dutch users on here...

Trying to book a hotel in Amsterdam for August and not many options left. There's one (Double Tree by Hilton) which involves getting a ferry (apparently free and every 30 mins). Address is NDSM-Plein 28, Amsterdam, 1033 WB.

Will it be annoying getting the ferry/how reliable is it? Right in the centre is too expensive at this stage but Google maps suggests you can get to some central places in 30+ mins if you get the ferry near the hotel.

Sorry for hijacking the forum transition thread. :happy:

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Is that the short ferry that goes to the central station? Seemed pretty reliable when I was there. When are you going?

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
PeacefulAnarchy
Jul 8 2018, 06:16:19 PM
Is that the short ferry that goes to the central station? Seemed pretty reliable when I was there. When are you going?
Haven't booked anything yet (hopefully booking today) but probably 8th-11th August. Can get the Eurostar to Amsterdam and it doesn't cost much at all.

Yeah, that must be it. Seems like the Eurostar arrives near the ferry (Central Station I think).

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
Nothing wrong with the ferry, as far as I can tell from the few times I've used it to get to the other side of the IJ river. It's about two minutes walking from Central Station, and maybe five minutes from the centre of Amsterdam, so if you have a hotel near the other side of the river it's pretty close indeed.

You could also opt for staying in another town. Travelling from Leiden to Amsterdam for instance only takes 30 minutes, and Leiden has a few hotels very close to its central station.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Alright, while the 7000 or so internal links are being fixed by my script I'm going to doublecheck the old threads to see if there's anything I missed. All that I know is missing after this is a bunch of html entity codes. I'm trying to find a way to script most of those away. I'm sure some will remain, though.

Once all that's done the import should take 60-90 minutes, so my best guess is 2-3 hours from now. I'll update once I start the import process.

blueboybob
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
STupid question. Will the URL change? Or can I keep coming to this site.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Gershwin
Jul 8 2018, 06:39:54 PM
Nothing wrong with the ferry, as far as I can tell from the few times I've used it to get to the other side of the IJ river. It's about two minutes walking from Central Station, and maybe five minutes from the centre of Amsterdam, so if you have a hotel near the other side of the river it's pretty close indeed.

You could also opt for staying in another town. Travelling from Leiden to Amsterdam for instance only takes 30 minutes, and Leiden has a few hotels very close to its central station.
It's not the same ferry as the one to the Eye film museum (it's right next to it). This one takes a bit longer and goes less frequently.

As Gershwin said there's always the option to staying in another town. Haarlem and Utrecht are also good options.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Discussion and help with transition to new host · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone