Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We've moved to: https://forum.icmforum.com
You should have received a PM with a temporary password.
If you have issues logging into the new forum go here
If you can log in to the new forum then please post any questions or concerns THERE
We will be checking here regularly for questions and problems, but less frequently as time goes by, you can always PM us (AdamH, mightysparks or PeacefulAnarchy) on Icheckmovies or send an email to Admin@ this url.
Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Action! Challenge; Official, July 2018
Topic Started: Jun 29 2018, 11:16:10 AM (1,861 Views)
zzzorf
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
Posted Image

G'Day one and all and welcome to the first ever challenge hosted by me here on this humble forum. As shown by the machismo portrayed above it is time to get your adrenaline pumping as we enter the world of action movies and all those cheesy one-liners (which I hope to see a lot of in your posts). As this is my first challenge I didn't mess with a winning formula and have ripped the below rules from the last action challenge held just two years ago. If you feel anything needs changing than I am open for discussion, if not than the rules will stand as are and we will proceed accordingly. I kept the three official lists from the previous challenge but removed the unofficial as some were out of date so hit me up with any more lists were action movies can be found and I will add them to the below lists. Lastly I added a special section entitled Wayne's World (yes my real name's Wayne, deal with it) giving two other lists that if anyone is interested they could take from outside of ICM but are both parts of my online movie life, a chance for extra discussion and a way for you all to get to know me better. So everyone there is only one thing left to say, Lights, Camera, ACTION!!!

Goal: Watch as many action movies as possible. :guns:

Rules:
- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry.
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry.
- For Mini-Series or tv shows (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series or tv shows with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 60 minutes rule applies.
- Rewatches are welcome.
- For the purposes of this challenge, any film on one of the approved lists below counts as an Action film, as does any film tagged with the "Action" genre on IMDb/iCM

Lists:

Official
IMDb Action
Action! The Action Movie A-Z
100 Classic Martial Arts Films
Patrick Galloway's Guide to Samurai Films

Unofficial
Pirates, Swashbucklers & Buccaneers

Wayne's World
zzzorf's Top 100 Action Movies (my Top 100 Action movies I have watched since joining IMDb in July 2016 and thus rating movies)
Flickchart's Top 250 Action Movies (I am a big lover of this site and its great format)

Participants
RankParticipant# of Watches
1vortexsurfer22
=2XxXApathy420XxX21
=2psychotronicbeatnik21
4sol19
=5jdidaco18
=5flavo500018
7maxwelldeux17
8allisoncm12
972allinncallme11
=103eyes8
=10clemmetarey8
=10VincentPrice8
13hurluberlu7
=14frbrown6
=14shugs6
16peeptoad5
=17Oliuj4
=27OldAle14
=19jeroeno3
=19ororama3
=19zzzorf3
=22nimimerkillinen2
=22Knaldskalle2
=22blueboybob2
=22funkybusiness2
=26mathiasa1
=26Mate_cosido1
=26ChrisReynolds1
=26cinephage1
Edited by zzzorf, Jul 7 2018, 11:05:18 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In. I'm a relic from the age of swashbucklers, so cut me some slack please.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/pirates+swashbucklers+and+buccaneers/admiral+softy/
Edited by 3eyes, Jun 29 2018, 12:20:22 PM.

clemmetarey
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In as well for a few.

For those interested, a list of films eligible for all three challenges. Only 8 titles. Please note that the list is visible by friends only, so don't hesitate to send me a request.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In! Thanks for hosting.

I built the Action! A-Z list on trakt.tv, and if you click on the triangle under the poster, it will tell you where you can stream it. It's based on US data, though.

https://trakt.tv/users/maxwelldeux/lists/action-the-action-movie-a-z

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
I'm in.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In! Will try to get bronze on the Action Movie A-Z list.

And thanks for hosting zzzorf :cheers:

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Mostly HK martial arts stuff probably, but I may also take this month to watch the last few modern superhero flicks I haven't seen, and finish off the watchable films from JCVD, Chuck Norris and Seagal that I haven't seen yet, if there are any.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in for stuff n such.

Knaldskalle
Member Avatar
Sausagemaker
Well, I guess I'm in as well, though I doubt I'll be making much of a splash. I have the feeling I'll be watching very little this month (if June is anything to go by).

vortexsurfer
No Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
In.

peeptoad
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'll hopefully be watching a few...

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

https://letterboxd.com/lordcookie/list/underrated-action/ there's this list. I'm not sure if I'm gonna see anything though. Perhaps I can ask for recs here though? Here's some action I love

Spoiler: click to toggle

I would also recommend Deadbeat at Dawn which I saw recently. Silly enough to be entertaining but effective enough to be a good film. This is the kind of film it is:

jdidaco
No Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
In. Thank you, and congratulations on you first hosting assignment, zzzorf!

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
XxXApathy420XxX
Jun 30 2018, 03:23:03 PM
https://letterboxd.com/lordcookie/list/underrated-action/ there's this list. I'm not sure if I'm gonna see anything though. Perhaps I can ask for recs here though? Here's some action I love

I would also recommend Deadbeat at Dawn which I saw recently. Silly enough to be entertaining but effective enough to be a good film. This is the kind of film it is:

Anybody who loves Death Wish 3 absolutely must make it a priority to see Invasion U.S.A.. If you don't love this you don't deserve to own heavy military weaponry like all red-blooded he-men do:

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Oh and from the letterboxed list I personally would recommend

Nighthawks (which I reviewed in the 80s & 0-check challenges recently)
Streets of Fire
Slaughter
Dredd
The Driver
The Train
Sorcerer
Danger: Diabolik
The Yakuza
Coogan's Bluff
The Shadow
The Last Action Hero
Death Hunt

I also like, but wouldn't really push too hard these films, which are really all pretty crappy but they fit my sensibilities

Action Jackson
Runaway
Cobra
The Punisher (the 1989 Dolph Lundgren one)
Desperado

and strongly DISrecommend

The Way of the Gun

I've seen at least a dozen of the others but either don't remember them well enough or just can't really either promote or dis

XxXApathy420XxX
Member Avatar

Ok, that Invasion U.S.A. clip is hilarious. I might have to see it.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
XxXApathy420XxX
Jul 1 2018, 12:45:30 AM
Ok, that Invasion U.S.A. clip is hilarious. I might have to see it.
It's probably Chuck's best/worst film - they''re the same thing for him. I remember Code of Silence actually being kind of good in an un-ironic way, but that's too dim a memory. That's probably one of my top re-watch possibilities for this month.

Oh and I don't know how much blaxploitation you've seen, but that's an area I really, really love and regardless of whether the movies are really good or not most of them have some real style, a nice sense of place (nearly always LA or NYC) and great music. A pretty large portion of the best low-rent American action films of the 70s fall into the category I think.

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
It starts!

1. Sherlock, Jr. (1924) REVISION

Posted Image

A mild disappointment for a film that I had such fond memories of; the part where Keaton shadows his suspect (see above) is great, but other than that, the film does not really take off until over a third of the way in when Keaton falls asleep in the cinema. Even then, his jumping into the film (and it changing scenes on him) gag is more innovative than all of the subsequent gags. The General was likewise a mild disappointment when I rewatched it last year, and I am currently inclined to think that Keaton was better in general in his ~20 minute shorts rather than his longer films that require more than a few amusing gags.

Note to self: Need to check how many other silent comedies are tagged as 'Action' on IMDb. Could potentially rewatch some more this month.

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'm in.

My starting stats:

Action A-Z: 97/250, #1690, need 28 for bronze
100 Martial Arts Films: 40/99, #113, need 10 for bronze

zzzorf
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
sol
Jul 1 2018, 04:21:00 AM
It starts!

I was hoping to start things off myself due to time differences meaning Australia is one of the first to make July but a weekend consisting majoritly Horror movies meant no Action movies so far today. :(

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
zzzorf
Jul 1 2018, 08:04:53 AM
sol
It starts!

I was hoping to start things off myself due to time differences meaning Australia is one of the first to make July but a weekend consisting majoritly Horror movies meant no Action movies so far today. :(
Are you Australian too? I'm a Perth lad myself, and hence had the same time zone advantage that you did. ;)

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
A Civil Action

2. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) REVISION

Posted Image

Still as amusing as ever, Kung Fu Hustle might be a little obvious as a redemption tale or story of a ne'er-do-well making good, but it succeeds excellently as a deliciously over-the-top look at a small community banding together to ward off intimidating gangsters. Qiu Yuen remains the film's best asset as the no-nonsense landlady, but the film has several simply beautiful shots too, like the protagonist caught in an identical pose to a Top Hat poster behind him (see above).

zzzorf
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
sol
Jul 1 2018, 09:50:21 AM
zzzorf
Jul 1 2018, 08:04:53 AM
sol
It starts!

Are you Australian too? I'm a Perth lad myself, and hence had the same time zone advantage that you did. ;)
Yeah I got a slight better time advantage to you as I'm in NSW in a town called Kempsey, pretty much halfway between Sydney and Brisbane.

shugs
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm in.

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
zzzorf
Jul 1 2018, 09:53:58 AM
Yeah I got a slight better time advantage to you as I'm in NSW in a town called Kempsey, pretty much halfway between Sydney and Brisbane.
Just plugged it into Google. Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Must keep it in mind if I am ever over the other side of the country.

zzzorf
Member Avatar
Extra
 * ]
sol
Jul 1 2018, 09:57:08 AM
zzzorf
Jul 1 2018, 09:53:58 AM
Just plugged it into Google. Looks like a beautiful place to visit. Must keep it in mind if I am ever over the other side of the country.
The area itself, known as the Macleay Valley, is a beautiful place and is well worth a visit, the town of Kempsey itself not so much. We have one of the worst unemployment rates in NSW therefore a low-socioeconomic area and high crime rate. As I said though you can't go wrong with the valley itself though ranging from beautiful beaches to the mountain tops of the inlands.

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
A Civil Action

3. Shaolin Soccer (2001)

Posted Image

While nowhere near as zany and unpredictable as Chow's latter Kung Fu Hustle, this earlier film likewise captures the beauty of martial arts by combining actual kung fu moves with breathtaking special effects. It is a frequently funny film too as Chow takes sports field showmanship to an entirely new level and the film even offers some messages about doping in sports. I do wish though that I knew that multiple versions of film exist before sitting down to watch it (the AU DVD only runs 85 minutes).

Oliuj
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
I'm in.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Welcome on board Oliuj! :cheers:

1. Do ma daan (1986)
2. Flash Gordon (1980)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Red Cliff (2008, China)

I'm a sucker for pre-gun battle scenes, and this was great. Lots of action and strategy, this historical drama (directed by John Woo) tells the story of an unlikely alliance between two provinces who were being overrun by another. This was a lot of fun and felt like a quick watch, despite a 2.5 hour runtime.
Edited by maxwelldeux, Jul 1 2018, 04:45:13 PM.

Oliuj
No Avatar
Extra
 * ]
1. Maniac Cop (1988) 6/10

There's not much to say about this movie: a killer cop with supernatural strenght is on the loose. Sometimes the topic of police corruption is touched but never really explored in a satisfactory manner. So it's all about the kills and the action, which are good but not that memorable.
Edited by Oliuj, Jul 1 2018, 05:07:36 PM.

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Donovan‘s Reef (nice, but often strangely out of tune and over the top)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Long men kezhan / Dragon Inn (Taiwan 67) - Triple

BTW, Zzzorf, here's another official challenge (Japanese action):

https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/patrick+galloways+guide+to+samurai+films/
Edited by 3eyes, Jul 1 2018, 08:07:21 PM.

ororama
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) * 128 min.

*First time viewing.

blueboybob
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Action

1. Thief (1981) -- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083190
2. The Monkey King (1963) -- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059855/
Edited by blueboybob, Jul 5 2018, 11:40:00 PM.

sol
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
A Civil Action

4. The Tuxedo (2002)

Posted Image

The basic idea is not half-bad with the film almost playing out like Upgrade as the titular tuxedo has a mind of its own and can cause Chan to do all sorts of involuntary things. Unfortunately, this concept is pretty much the only decent idea the film has. There are many groan-inducing attempts to derive humour from Jennifer Love Hewitt's "rack" and while the bottled water villain's plot is intriguing, everything is so ridiculous that there is never any real sense of imminent danger.

flavo5000
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image
1. Assassin's Creed (2016)
By linking his brain into a large robotic arm device, Fassbender's character is able to relive the memories of his ancestor, an assassin, in order to learn of the Knights Templar's secret machinations. I decided to start off the challenge with a video game movie because... why not? Fassbender fully commits to his duel role as a modern day criminal turned pawn in a greater game and the stealthy assassin Aguilar. Additionally the visuals were quite impressive in place with fairly unique lighting and cinematography. Unfortunately, the movie is awkwardly plotted and fails to explain half of why things are happening which leads to an unsatisfying watch overall.

Posted Image
2. Black Panther (2018)
Prince T'Challa ascends to the throne of Wakanda, a secretly technologically advanced African society that appears to be a third world country to most of the world, after his father, the king, is killed. But peace is short-lived when a mysterious figure from his past starts stirring up trouble for him, attempting to usurp the throne. I felt this was one of the better and more distinctive Marvel movies with a more fleshed out supporting cast (despite the main character being a little on the bland side) and a solid villain in Michael B. Jordan's Killmonger. It was let down a little in a few places with some less than stellar CGI and green screen work but Coogler's direction in the action sequences definitely felt on-point, having benefited from his previous work on Creed I would guess.

Posted Image
3. Kekexili (2004) a.k.a. Mountain Patrol
A true story of a group of volunteers in the Tibetan mountains who band together to protect antelope from dangerous poachers. Methodically paced but quite good, Mountain Patrol is a movie that uses the landscape to build tension. It also isn't afraid to linger on the impact of the actions taken. Recommended.

Remember When I Said I'd Kill You Last? I Lied

frbrown
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
1. Speed (1994)

"- I'm smarter than you, Jack! [gets decapitated]
- Yeah? Well, I'm taller."

2. Dragon Inn (1992)
Edited by frbrown, Jul 2 2018, 04:04:04 AM.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Highlander (1986)

I had never watched this one before now, largely because I don't particularly care about the fantasy elements of the plot. And I still don't. There were some cool shots and scenery and some decent action sequences (though not all), but ultimately it didn't come together for me, and the immortal fantasy shit

3. Dragon Attack (1983)

This was absurd. Here's how I imagine the pitch meeting went: "OK - so we're going to remake The Dirty Dozen, but set in China. It's got everything. You want jokes? We got jokes. You want action? There's more action than you could ever want. A musical number? You've never SEEN such an upbeat song. Someone rising from a coffin? The deadest! But wait - I know what you're thinking. A movie like this has got to cost a HUGE amount to make. And you'd be right - if I weren't so film savvy. You see, I'll save oodles of money by doing as little original work as possible." 3/10 because Jackie Chan is awesome, but wow this was absurdly bad.

4. Snatched (2017)

Amy Schumer action-comedy where she and her mom (Goldie Hawn) are kidnapped while on a trip to Ecuador. It was fine enough to watch. The jokes were hit and miss (the shock jokes were better), but ultimately the movie is pretty forgettable.

When fire burns, it's a chemical re

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sol
Jul 2 2018, 01:38:45 AM
4. The Tuxedo (2002)

The basic idea is not half-bad with the film almost playing out like Upgrade as the titular tuxedo has a mind of its own and can cause Chan to do all sorts of involuntary things. Unfortunately, this concept is pretty much the only decent idea the film has. There are many groan-inducing attempts to derive humour from Jennifer Love Hewitt's "rack" and while the bottled water villain's plot is intriguing, everything is so ridiculous that there is never any real sense of imminent danger.

I have a weird affection for that movie. It's by no means good, but it's fun and entertaining enough to watch. My parents own a copy, and I used to watch it periodically when I stayed over there.
frbrown
Jul 2 2018, 04:03:31 AM
1. Speed (1994)

"- I'm smarter than you, Jack! [gets decapitated]
- Yeah? Well, I'm taller."

I spent more time than I care to admit quoting that movie in junior high. My favorite was "Fuck me!" ... "Whoa darn."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone