Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We've moved to: https://forum.icmforum.com
You should have received a PM with a temporary password.
If you have issues logging into the new forum go here
If you can log in to the new forum then please post any questions or concerns THERE
We will be checking here regularly for questions and problems, but less frequently as time goes by, you can always PM us (AdamH, mightysparks or PeacefulAnarchy) on Icheckmovies or send an email to Admin@ this url.
Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Russian Challenge; Official! March 2018!
Topic Started: Feb 27 2018, 02:05:32 AM (2,796 Views)
funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Русский вызов

Posted Image

Posted Image

Goal: Watch as many Russian (including Soviet) films as possible in the month of March in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Eighteen.

Rules:

- A feature film (Anything over 40 minutes) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films count as one entry
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes (25 minutes or so), the 60 minute rule applies.
- Rewatches allowed.
- Post-Soviet Union films from former Soviet countries are ineligible.

Official iCM lists:
Livejournal Russian Top 100
Russian Guild Of Film Critics - Best Russian Films

Unofficial lists:

Local Heros megalist 1000+ Quintessential Russian Movies
Golden 100 of Russian animation
100 Classics of Russian and Eastern European Cinema
Soviet and Russian submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Ministry of Culture's 100 Russian Movies Recommended for Pupils
Movies on Mosfilm.ru free for streaming with English subtitles

Current 500<400 titles
Doubling the Canon Nominations

Partisans, Comrades and Revolutionaries:
jeroeno 60
72allinncallme 42
Mate_cosido 29
psychotronicbeatnik 29

funkybusiness 27
St. Gloede 25
weirdboy 18
jdidaco 16
cinephage 13b
Fergenaprido 12
3eyes 11
OldAle1 10
edward5 8
Ivan0716 8
maxwelldeux 8
Nopros 5
sol 4
flavo5000 3
sebby 3
allisoncm 2
Gorro 2
hurluberlu 2
lynchs 2
RogerTheMovieManiac88 2
Simba63 2
blocho 1
India Istanbul 1
jvv 1
nimimerkillinen 1

Edited by funkybusiness, Apr 2 2018, 10:21:43 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
Nikto ne obnimaet neob"iatnogo! In.

Triples & doubles on my list:

Triples:
&The Canterbury tales (Russia-UK 98-00, 3 eps @28m, Aida Zyablikova)
&Koshka, kotoraya gulyala sama po sebe / the cat that walked by herself (USSR 88, 70m, Ideya Garanina) -

Doubles:
R/A
Animated Soviet Propaganda (1997, 4 discs 324m) [shorts collection, NF DVD US]
@Stalin vspomnil o vas / Stalin thought of you (Russia 09, 100m) [animation]

R/W
Baby ryazanskie / Women of Ryazan (USSR 27, 67m)
Krylya (USSR 66, 85m, Larisa Shepitko) -
Voskhozhdenie (USSR 77, 111m, Larisa Shepitko) -

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I will participate! I watched a bunch of Russian movies in February, though, so I may not have too many left on my immediate watchlist.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In! Will mostly work on the two official lists, but thanks for the list of eligble 500<400/DtC movies funky!

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In. I'm aiming for the top 1000 on the two official lists. I need 9 on the Russian Guild... list, and 12 on the Livejournal... list. I think I can do it.

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
I'll try to pick off the 500<400 entries I haven't hit yet.

jeroeno
Member Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The link for the Livejournal list in the OP doesn't work.

I'm in, I'll watch the Sherlok Kholms films on the Livejournal list for starters.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
jeroeno
Feb 27 2018, 09:38:37 AM
The link for the Livejournal list in the OP doesn't work.

I'm in, I'll watch the Sherlok Kholms films on the Livejournal list for starters.
thanks, fixed. (don't know how it became broken in the first place...)

I'd also like to watch those Sherlok films if I could ever figure out the exact order, with imdb links and the whole biz. There's like, films within films or something... It's mystified me for far too long. It's probably incredibly simple but it has beleaguered me nonetheless. I guess I have something to do the next couple days. (I'll be sure to make an iCM list and post it in the OP, for anyone else trying to figure it out).

wait a minute I think the order at the bottom of the livejournal list is the correct order! Hah! Either that wasn't there before, it was different, or I never scrolled all the way to the bottom of that list before, as I'm sure I've never seen that ordering there before.
Edited by funkybusiness, Feb 27 2018, 09:53:53 AM.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Looking forward to this.

Slight negative note:
I always find it a bit weird that Russia gets to take credit for everything the USSR did for cinema, but the other ex-USSR states don't even get to be affiliated afterwards. Would have loved a USSR challenge instead of a Russia challenge (with pre and post states allowed), but I will try to join as I desperately need to focus more energy on this treasure throw.

As my interests primarily lies with the USSR and the styles it represented, therefor I will likely not watch too many modern Russian films - but I might be tempted by viewings here.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
St. Gloede
Feb 27 2018, 09:53:43 AM
Looking forward to this.

Slight negative note:
I always find it a bit weird that Russia gets to take credit for everything the USSR did for cinema, but the other ex-USSR states don't even get to be affiliated afterwards. Would have loved a USSR challenge instead of a Russia challenge (with pre and post states allowed), but I will try to join as I desperately need to focus more energy on this treasure throw.

As my interests primarily lies with the USSR and the styles it represented, therefor I will likely not watch too many modern Russian films - but I might be tempted by viewings here.
I get what you're saying, and it's a rule there mostly because "it's always been that way!" but off the top of my head, many of the significant non-Russian Soviet filmmakers made their films within the Soviet system and were trained in the Soviet system at Soviet filmmaking schools and within the Soviet industry and of course there was Soviet censorship in charge of it all, whereas none of those things were in place post-Soviet Union (as far as I'm aware, although it would be interesting to discover anything to the contrary).
Edited by funkybusiness, Feb 27 2018, 09:58:53 AM.

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
funkybusiness
Feb 27 2018, 09:58:14 AM
St. Gloede
Looking forward to this.

Slight negative note:

I get what you're saying, and it's a rule there mostly because "it's always been that way!" but off the top of my head, many of the significant non-Russian Soviet filmmakers made their films within the Soviet system and were trained in the Soviet system at Soviet filmmaking schools and within the Soviet industry and of course there was Soviet censorship in charge of it all, whereas none of those things were in place post-Soviet Union (as far as I'm aware, although it would be interesting to discover anything to the contrary).
True, but the same applies to Russia itself. I obviously won't deny that the power rested there during the entire period of the union, but these countries all shared the same experiences through USSR, with most of their cinematic period shaped through Soviet, and of course all suddenly facing a world without Soviet rule, and the same challenges thereof. (Of course, we see very similar journeys across Eastern Europe, also in non-USSR states).

cinephage
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I have a watchlist I know I won't be able to finish, but at least I'd like to unwrap my Sherlock Holmes dvd box. So I'll join in. B)

St. Gloede
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
I'll try to make an overview of USSR and Russian films I already have and start going through them when March starts.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
St. Gloede
Feb 27 2018, 10:08:01 AM
funkybusiness
Feb 27 2018, 09:58:14 AM
St. Gloede
Looking forward to this.

Slight negative note:

True, but the same applies to Russia itself. I obviously won't deny that the power rested there during the entire period of the union, but these countries all shared the same experiences through USSR, with most of their cinematic period shaped through Soviet, and of course all suddenly facing a world without Soviet rule, and the same challenges thereof. (Of course, we see very similar journeys across Eastern Europe, also in non-USSR states).
Might there be a distinction between ex-SSRs now included in the Asian challenge and ones like Ukraine & Belarus, which are linguistically very close? I guess the Baltic States are now part of the Eastern Europe challenge?

(I'm with St G. on preferring USSR films - having worked for 5 years as a cataloguer of USSR books in the 60s.)
Edited by 3eyes, Feb 27 2018, 03:11:06 PM.

Nopros
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
funkybusiness
Feb 27 2018, 02:05:32 AM
I'll try and update this list. I think a lot of the movies previously without IMDb-entry has now gotten one.

Also, I'm in! Setting a measly goal of the six movies I need to finish the Russian Guild list.
Edited by Nopros, Feb 27 2018, 03:15:41 PM.

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
Sure but probably will only watch a couple movies

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm in, comrades, although my participation will be limited.

:cheers:

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sure. Goal is minimum of 10, most likely will concentrate on early Soviet film as I just got the Flicker Alley 4-disc set and a Dziga Vertov set recently. May watch a few newer films as well but my heart seems to lie in the 1920s as far as Mother Russia goes.

Cynical Cinephile
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have some Russian films lined up. This seems like a perfect opportunity to prioritize them, so I may as well join. Count me in.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Puttering around in the forum archives, I found this gem of a thread: Russian Animation

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
Lists of 500<400 titles and DtC noms are in the OP. I tentatively added Le tombeau d'Alexandre and Red Army 2014, both DtC, because they're pretty much Russian films although being French and American in origin, respectively, although I'm open to criticism.

also, lumme know if I missed any, as I did both of those manually.
and if anyone wants them as iCM lists rather than just text, also, lumme know.
Edited by funkybusiness, Mar 1 2018, 06:23:21 AM.

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
One of my DtC nominations - Vedreba (1967) is missing from your list.

It's stylistically very similar to Andrei Rublov/Marketa Lazarova, except only 72 minutes long!

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Letís start this challenge with;

1. Aleksandr Nevskiy (1938)

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
1. Koshka, kotoraya gulyala sama po sebe / the cat that walked by herself (USSR 88)
2. Ilya Muromets (USSR 56)

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Kino Komrades:
1. The Cat Who Walked By Herself (1988) Ideya Garanina / FTV / Rating: 8+

hurluberlu
Member Avatar
over and above
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Carnival in Moscow / Karnavalnaya noch (Eldar Ryazanov, 1956)
Funny, charming musical.

Posted Image

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Nelyubov / Loveless (2017)

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
2. The Night Before Christmas (1951) Valentina & Zinaida Brumberg / FTV / Rating: 7+

Kino Komrades:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Simba63
Member Avatar
Hakuna Matata
 *  *  *  * ]
01. The Hunchedback Horse (1947) - 6/10

This overlaps with the animation challenge, so I'm taking credit for it here too.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Ivan's Childhood (1962)

I've already documented my struggles with Tarkovsky, and many of you recommended this one. Well, I did it, and I enjoyed it quite a bit (I have it up there with Stalker). It was definitely more accessible than the other Tarkovsky films I've seen, and I think it will help serve as a good lead-in for when I tackle Andrei Rublev again later this month. The cinematography was beautiful, and I'm starting to notice themes/symbols throughout his films. Good kickoff for this challenge for me.

Necessary Education for a Patriotic American

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Saw Red Sparrow today. A lot of it takes place in Russia with Russian characters (who are played by actors who are anything but). But I guess it wouldn't count for the challenge.

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
allisoncm
Mar 3 2018, 02:46:11 AM
Saw Red Sparrow today. A lot of it takes place in Russia with Russian characters (who are played by actors who are anything but). But I guess it wouldn't count for the challenge.
Oh I was going to put it somewhere in the OP that I would fight anybody who tried to count Reds (1981) but Red Sparrow is definitely in that category.

blocho
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
My "deep cut" challenge recommendation for the Russian challenge is ...

Oligarkh (2002) - This movie had maybe a one-week run in the states when it came out and then was promptly forgotten. I'm no Russia expert, but it seemed to me an excellent encapsulation of some of the more salient dynamics of 1990s Russian life. And it's got a fair claim to be the Russian version of Godfather Part II.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
funkybusiness
Mar 3 2018, 02:48:47 AM
allisoncm
Oh I was going to put it somewhere in the OP that I would fight anybody who tried to count Reds (1981) but Red Sparrow is definitely in that category.
In that case,

1. Red Sparrow - https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/red-sparrow/

jeroeno
Member Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
From the Golden 100 of Russian Animation:

1. Snezhnaya koroleva (1957)
2. Tayna tretey planety (1981)
3. Zakoldovannyy malchik (1955)
4. Alenkiy tsvetochek (1952)

5a. Chipollino (1961) 38 min
5b. Rozhdestvo (1997) 14 min
5c. 38 popugaev (1976) 8 min

6a. Zolotaya antilopa (1954) 31 min
6b. Nu, pogodi! (1969) 10 min
6c. Rusalka (1997) 10 min
6d. Zhil-byl Kozyavin (1966) 9 min

7a. Krokodil Gena (1969) 20 min
7b. Operavox: The Barber of Seville (1995) 28 min
7c. Lisa i zayats (1973) 12 min

8a. Cheburashka (1972) 19 min
8b. Kanikuly Bonifatsiya (1965) 21 min
8c. Istoriya odnogo prestupleniya (1962) 20 min

funkybusiness
Member Avatar
This...is a cactus.
allisoncm
Mar 3 2018, 05:46:50 PM
funkybusiness
Mar 3 2018, 02:48:47 AM
allisoncm
In that case,

1. Red Sparrow - https://letterboxd.com/allisoncm/film/red-sparrow/
I meant it wouldn't count :lol:

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Neokonchennaya pyesa dlya mekhanicheskogo pianino AKA An Unfinished Piece for Mechanical Piano (1977)
3. Moskva slezam ne verit AKA Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears (1980)
4. Proverka na dorogakh AKA Trial on the Road (1971)
5. Beregis avtomobilya AKA Watch Out for the Automobile (1966)
6. Sudba cheloveka AKA Fate of a Man (1959)
7. Vesyolye rebyata AKA Moscow Laughs (1934)

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
3. The Lost Letter (1945) Valentina & Zinaida Brumberg / FTV / Rating: 8+

Kino Komrades:

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
8. A zori zdes tikhie AKA The Dawns Here Are Quiet (1972)
9. Kavkazskaya plennitsa, ili Novye priklyucheniya Shurika AKA Kidnapping, Caucasian Style (1967)
10. Odinokiy golos cheloveka AKA The Lonely Voice of Man (1987)
11. Polyoty vo sne i nayavu AKA Flights in Dreams and in Reality (1983)

jeroeno
Member Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
From the Golden 100 of Russian Animation:

9a. Shpionskie strasti (1967) 21 min
9b. Steklyannaya garmonika (1968) 19 min
9c. Tsaplya i zhuravl (1974) 10 min
9d. Ostrov (1973) 10 min

10a. Pochta (1929) 15 min
10b. Antoshka (1979) 3 min
10c. Poligon (1977) 10 min
10d. Vovka v Tridevyatom tsarstve (1965) 19 min
10e. Kto skazal myau? (1962) 9 min
10f. Krylya, nogi i khvosty (1986) 4 min

11a. Dyuymovochka (1964) 30 min
11b. Puteshestvie muravya (1983) 10 min
11c. Kele (1988) 7 min
11d. Gagarin (1994) 3 min
11e. Martynko (1987) 10 min

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone