Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We've moved to: https://forum.icmforum.com
You should have received a PM with a temporary password.
If you have issues logging into the new forum go here
If you can log in to the new forum then please post any questions or concerns THERE
We will be checking here regularly for questions and problems, but less frequently as time goes by, you can always PM us (AdamH, mightysparks or PeacefulAnarchy) on Icheckmovies or send an email to Admin@ this url.
Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Films Directed by Women Challenge (March 2018); Official, March 2018
Topic Started: Feb 26 2018, 11:46:32 PM (6,107 Views)
allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Watch films directed by women through March.

Rules:
- Rewatches allowed.
- A feature film (Anything 40 minutes or over) counts as one entry
- A total of 60 minutes of short films counts as one entry
- For Mini-Series (40 minute episodes or longer) each episode counts as an entry.
- For Mini-Series with shorter episodes, the 60 minute rule applies.

Challenge runs from March 1st, 2018 - March 31st, 2018

Russian Animators:
Svetlana Andrianova
Ideya Garanina
Inessa Kovalevskaya
Aida Zyablikova (Ukrainian, though)
Galina Barinova
Nina Shorina

Thanks to 3eyes and RogerTheMovieManiac88 for these suggestions.

Links (ICM-related):
Female Directors Present on the Jonathan Rosenbaum List
Official movies with a woman director

Links (not ICM-related):
Sight and Sound's 100 Overlooked Films Directed by Women
Films Directed By Women
100 Films Directed by Women
Allison's Favorite Films Directed by Women
Actresses Who Have Tried Their Hand at Directing
Films Directed by Danish Women
Films Directed by French Women
Films Directed by Norwegian Women
Films Directed by Portuguese Women
A Female Director a Day
Female Directors in Hollywood
Female Directors on UBUWeb
Baalman78's Top 50 Female Directors

DtC Nominations
Spoiler: click to toggle

Participants | # of films
1. psychotronicbeatnik 119
2. jdidaco 90
3. jeroeno 50
4. sebby 45
5. RogerTheMovieManiac88 44
5. 72allinncallme 43
6. sol 40
7. Mate_cosido 33
8. vortexsurfer 31
9. Straka 29
10. hurluberlu 28
maxwelldeux 26
Ivan0716 24
OldAle1 21
allisoncm 21
Fergenaprido 21
weirdboy 18
nimimerkillinen 12
3eyes 11
Gorro 10
clemmetarey 10
Lilarcor 10
flaiky 9
flavo5000 8
45MinuteZoom 7
cinephage 6
RBG 6
Simba63 6
India Istanbul 4
VincentPrice 3
ororama 3
funkybusiness 3
lynchs 2.5
jvv 2
blocho 2
brokenface 2
VincentPrice 1
globetrotter 1
Knaldskalle 1
fear of 13 1
Edited by allisoncm, Apr 2 2018, 04:18:43 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

weirdboy
No Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I will participate, although probably not be very competitive as I have a bunch of other commitments in March.

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
Holy shit can't escape Wrinkle in Time anywhere. WHY IS THIS FILM BEING MARKETED LIKE THE GODFATHER PART 4 STARRING THE CORPSE OF MARLON BRANDO AHHHHH

Anyway, I'm in with a goal of 10-15.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yay!!! Thanks for hosting, Allison!

I'm in. And this will probably be my focus this month. And with my wife out of town for half the month, I'll have ample time to watch movies. That's my version of trash talk for this challenge.

I'm also really looking forward to this. My wife has a masters degree in women's and gender studies, and I've learned a lot from her, but haven't explored a lot into films directed by women.

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
It's a busy month, but I'm in. Triples & doubles on my list:

Triples:
&The Canterbury tales (Russia-UK 98-00, 3 eps @28m, Aida Zyablikova)
&Koshka, kotoraya gulyala sama po sebe / the cat that walked by herself (USSR 88, 70m, Ideya Garanina)

Doubles:
R/W:
Baby ryazanskie / Women of Ryazan (USSR 27, 67m)
Krylya (USSR 66, 85m, Larisa Shepitko)
Voskhozhdenie (USSR 77, 111m, Larisa Shepitko)

A/W:
**The Breadwinner (Ire/Can 17, 94m)
&Rocks in my pockets (14, 107m)

**=streaming NF US
&=youtube
Edited by 3eyes, Feb 27 2018, 01:34:49 AM.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I’m in! Thank you for hosting allisoncm. Are co-directions eligble?
Edited by 72allinncallme, Feb 27 2018, 06:51:59 AM.

RogerTheMovieManiac88
Member Avatar
Gold-digger
 *  *  *  * ]
Looking forward to it! Thanks for hosting once again, Allison. It's fun to see challenges roll round on a yearly basis.

Two more DtC nominees (both mine) that would tie in are Lucie Sunková's 'Geranium' and Khaldiya Jibawi's 'Another Kind of Girl'. Love them both!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
72allinncallme
Feb 27 2018, 06:50:55 AM
I’m in! Thank you for hosting allisoncm. Are co-directions eligble?
Yes.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Feb 27 2018, 07:15:43 AM
Looking forward to it! Thanks for hosting once again, Allison. It's fun to see challenges roll round on a yearly basis.

Two more DtC nominees (both mine) that would tie in are Lucie Sunková's 'Geranium' and Khaldiya Jibawi's 'Another Kind of Girl'. Love them both!
Thanks! I'll add those soon. I added all the films that were tagged as "f-rated" (the new term for female director on IMDB) but unfortunately not all the films were tagged with that keyword yet so I'm in the process of actually going through all the nominees. So this is helpful.

jeroeno
Member Avatar
Award Collector
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in.

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
I'm sure I'll end up watching a few.

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
Sure

45MinuteZoom
Member Avatar
Supporting Actor
 *  * ]
I'm in!

hurluberlu
Member Avatar
over and above
 *  *  *  * ]
allisoncm
Feb 27 2018, 08:03:33 AM
RogerTheMovieManiac88
Feb 27 2018, 07:15:43 AM

Thanks! I'll add those soon. I added all the films that were tagged as "f-rated" (the new term for female director on IMDB) but unfortunately not all the films were tagged with that keyword yet so I'm in the process of actually going through all the nominees. So this is helpful.
And if we participate to the challenge, do we become official "f-rated allies"? so I put that in my signature :innocent:

(btw the term seems to cover films written by women or with significant female characters too)

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
hurluberlu
Feb 27 2018, 07:47:36 PM

(btw the term seems to cover films written by women or with significant female characters too)

Good to know. There were some "f-rated" films that weren't directed by women, so I thought it was an error. But perhaps not.

OldAle1
Member Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. Going to try to stick with an overall goal of hitting at least 10 in every monthly challenge, but I'm planning to give more attention to this one for this month, so 15-25 is the goal. A good opportunity to finish off or at least cut down on the to-see lists for Lotte Reiniger, Chantal Akerman, Agnès Varda, Ida Lupino and Claire Denis, for starters.

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
I'm in. I hope to make up for my poor showing last year when I was more focused on two other challenges.

Thanks for hosting this again, and thanks to you, 3 Eyes and Roger for the links to Female Russian Animators!

:cheers:

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Now, I have my hypotheses as to the answer to this question, but I want to hear other perspectives - Why are so few films in Hollywood directed by women?

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
maxwelldeux
Feb 28 2018, 06:12:47 AM
Now, I have my hypotheses as to the answer to this question, but I want to hear other perspectives - Why are so few films in Hollywood directed by women?
Lucrative profession controlled by a certain demo is not going to be too accepting of letting others in on the action.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sebby
Feb 28 2018, 08:25:51 AM
maxwelldeux
Lucrative profession controlled by a certain demo is not going to be too accepting of letting others in on the action.
Well sure, but why isn't it getting much better?

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
maxwelldeux
It's more open in France. There are more women directors. There's a problem of inequality in the USA: Men vs. women, rich vs. poor. Doesn't look like it's going to get better anytime soon.

Some extras died on the set of a Christopher Nolan movie (one of the Batmans), but Blake Lively hurt her hand on the set of a Reed Morano and a female commenter said this is why women shouldn't direct action movies. It's ingrained in our systems here to question when women direct.

One time I saw a Catherine Breillat movie based on how she recovered from her stroke and told someone that it was the director's own story. The person (a woman) referred to the director as a male even though the director in the movie as a female. So weird. This is America, though. I'd help to change it, but I don't have millions of dollars at the moment. In the meantime, I'm just watching movies made by women.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Those are interesting stories, Allison - the ingrained cultural attitudes are certainly problematic, and are probably going to take generations to reduce. I'm at least happy the ACLU has requested an investigation into Hollywood's hiring practices, especially with approximately a 50/50 gender ratio in film schools.

Also, I stumbled across this infographic that was pretty interesting. Hidden in a spoiler because of length:

Infographic

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
Maxwell, the inclusion of Lena Dunham in that infographic has made me consider hating you by proxy :ph43r:

The reason it isn't getting better is that Hollywood is such a tightly closed loop that it's incredibly difficult for an outsider of any kind to find their way in. See black head coaches in the NFL for a similar story -- it took way too long for them to be allowed a seat at the table, but now they at least have close to proportional representation. So there's hope, I guess?

Hollywood is different from film in general -- there are more women directing films now than ever before. They're just not directing big budget major studio films for the most part. And a lot of it is indeed due to gender stereotyping. Which films typically make the most money? Action, fantasy, and sci-fi. If you could pick three genres that are more stereotypically male than female it'd probably be those three. So women are much less likely to get a shot directing Transformers 9 or Batman 12 than a comedy or drama.
Edited by sebby, Mar 1 2018, 12:02:23 AM.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Lena Dunham isn't a woman. She's really a horrible person for molesting her sister and for her dumb comments. But don't blame maxwelldeux. There are people in every type of group that will give a bad name to whom they are representing. Let's just forget about Lena Dunham.

allisoncm
Member Avatar
Manic Listmaker
Tiny Furniture still counts if you want to watch it for the challenge.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sebby
Mar 1 2018, 12:01:52 AM
Maxwell, the inclusion of Lena Dunham in that infographic has made me consider hating you by proxy :ph43r:

The reason it isn't getting better is that Hollywood is such a tightly closed loop that it's incredibly difficult for an outsider of any kind to find their way in. See black head coaches in the NFL for a similar story -- it took way too long for them to be allowed a seat at the table, but now they at least have close to proportional representation. So there's hope, I guess?

Hollywood is different from film in general -- there are more women directing films now than ever before. They're just not directing big budget major studio films for the most part. And a lot of it is indeed due to gender stereotyping. Which films typically make the most money? Action, fantasy, and sci-fi. If you could pick three genres that are more stereotypically male than female it'd probably be those three. So women are much less likely to get a shot directing Transformers 9 or Batman 12 than a comedy or drama.
Yeah, that wasn't exactly my favorite aspect of that infographic...

And I think you bring up good points about stereotyping and the Hollywood studio system. I just find it interesting that despite remarkable commercial success for some women-directed films 20-30 years ago (e.g., Big, Wayne's World), that hasn't translated into more opportunities for women in mainstream film. (Though we may have to disagree about the representation of Black head coaches in the NFL - and even that took the Rooney rule.)

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
01. The Breadwinner (2017) - Nora Twomey - 6/10

Burn a Bra for Rock and Roll

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
1. Xiang ai xiang qin / Love Education (Sylvia Chang, 2017) - 8/10
Wonderful family drama dealing with themes like grieve, letting go of the past, duties to one's parents etc. A couple of very heartbreaking scenes.

2. 29+1 (Kearen Pang, 2017) - 7/10
While the issues raised are surprisingly universal, I imagine it would hit pretty hard if you're a woman in her mid-late twenties.

Edited by Ivan0716, Mar 1 2018, 12:05:06 PM.

Lilarcor
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In.

Based on what I have heard from women who try to get into filmmaking (not Hollywood), I think a lot of the male domination comes from the environment early on. When approaching the people with money, film schools etc. as a young woman they are often held to an unrealistic standards. The first project has to be amazing, as if every women have to "represent" or "prove" something about their gender. They may be asked condescending questions if they are actually able to shoot films and are often quizzed about their ability while men are not questioned this intensely about their ability. And if you make it through this bad experience, you most likely have to work with a team of men (who often only have experience working under a man). Likely for the entirety of your career you will be questioned about your ability and your "mission" to represent and prove something. From the perspective of women actors, cinematographers are in almost all cases men, which might be particularly uncomfortable for young women.

I can see why many quit or don't want to try the different professions in filmmaking because of these and other points mentioned. Then there's obviously the sexual harrassment that is widespread in the business too.
Edited by Lilarcor, Mar 1 2018, 12:39:29 PM.

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
@Lilarcor: Interesting perspective - thanks for sharing! A lot of what you share is doing things exactly wrong from a selection perspective, and it's frustrating that it is still going on.

Anyway...

1. Zero Dark Thirty (2012, Kathryn Bigelow)

It's really difficult to build and maintain tension in a movie when the ending is widely known. But I think this one was successful at maintaining the tension and interest throughout, and a long climactic sequence was a great payoff to the film. Otherwise, it didn't seem too special of a film, but was a really enjoyable watch.
Edited by maxwelldeux, Mar 1 2018, 09:12:18 PM.

hurluberlu
Member Avatar
over and above
 *  *  *  * ]
1. Bhaji on the Beach (Gurinder Chadha, 1993) 6-/10
Seven English women of Indian descent confronted to social and cultural issues... wants to say too much and not too subtly

Posted Image

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
Posted Image
02. O'er the Land (2008) - Deborah Stratman - 7/10

It's not a masterstroke like The Illinois Parables, but this is still a great little non-linear doc.

There's a scene near the end that's pretty timely given current events where these dudes are just unloading thousands of rounds of machine gun fire into the trees and bushes in (I believe) rural Ohio. Afterward, over the explosive din of said gunfire, one of these schmucks remarks that this is why Murica is so free, and that this is what the troops in the Middle East are fighting for -- essentially, his right to a) destroy the environment with a machine gun for shits and giggles, and b) normalize the use of extraordinary weaponry by American citizens. Are you fucking kidding me?

Eight years later, Trump is elected. Ten years later, more than a dozen kids are mowed down with an assault rifle in Florida. OMG WE ARE SO FREE RIGHT? Dead children and mass shootings every few weeks? Fuck that; we need to make sure country folk have access to machine guns or else we lose our freedom. Priorities, people.

72allinncallme
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
^ Good rant, I’m not from the US, but to quote Jim Jefferies, “Your First Amendment means that I can say your Second Amendment sucks dicks.”

My watches tonight,
1. Die Höhle des gelben Hundes (Byambasuren Davaa, 2005)
2. Vendredi soir (Claire Denis, 2002)

VincentPrice
Member Avatar
Simply The Best
1. Smooth Talk-1985: 6/10 (Directed by Joyce Chopra)

maxwelldeux
Member Avatar
Oscar Winner
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
2. Daisies AKA Sedmikrasky (1966, Vera Chytilova)

This is many things I frequently hate in film, but I loved this. I don't know why, but I loved it. I don't understand it, but I loved it. It's a rare 8/10 rating that's also an ICM fave. It's the 400th movie added to my Favorite Movies list. I liked seeing two women being silly and stupid and gross, which you don't often see (in that vein, it reminded me a bit of Broad City). The colors and shots were amazing and kept me focused on the screen. There was no plot - nothing about the narrative made sense, but it held my attention.

March is Women's History Month

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Here's another pair of Female Directors of Russian Animation to add to Roger & 3eyes' list:

Valentina & Zinaida Brumberg

psychotronicbeatnik
Member Avatar
Lead Role
 *  *  *  * ]
Directed By Women:
1. Lost in Translation (2003) Sofia Coppola / Rating: 9
2. The Cat Who Walked By Herself (1988) Ideya Garanina / FTV / Rating: 8

Total: 2

sebby
Member Avatar
Established Miscreant
03. The Piano (1993) - Jane Campion - 7/10

Ivan0716
Member Avatar
Actor
 *  *  * ]
3. Slava / Glory (Kristina Grozeva, Petar Valchanov, 2016) - 7/10
4. Estiu 1993 / Summer 1993 (Carla Simón, 2017) - 8/10
5. Mudbound (Dee Rees, 2017) - 7/10

ororama
No Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
1. Children of a Lesser God (1986, Randa Haines) * 119 min.

*First time viewing.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Past Challenges · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone