Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We've moved to: https://forum.icmforum.com
You should have received a PM with a temporary password.
If you have issues logging into the new forum go here
If you can log in to the new forum then please post any questions or concerns THERE
We will be checking here regularly for questions and problems, but less frequently as time goes by, you can always PM us (AdamH, mightysparks or PeacefulAnarchy) on Icheckmovies or send an email to Admin@ this url.
Welcome to the iCM Forum!

Click here to register!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Posting Links on iCM title comments; Cleaning up the comments section -- one dead link at time
Topic Started: Mar 30 2017, 12:31:36 AM (8,300 Views)
wowwee123
Member Avatar
Here's to watching shorts!
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Update (4/5/17): joachimt: I started a topic about comments-moderation on the official forum:
https://discuss.icheckmovies.com/t/comments-that-need-corrections/

--------------------------------
From time to time links to where you found a title is available to watch online, might not be available at a later date.

The icheckmovies.com site has a "down vote" function. When I come across a link that is no good, I'll down vote. Others have down voted mine too. I just now, right before writing this, went through my comments and all those with links and down votes, I deleted those that are not working anymore.

If you are one of those who also post links, please do everyone a favor, and from time to time go through your comments and if those links are down voted and the link is no good to delete that comment.

Found a title with comments to dead links? Please post the Beta link of the comments. To change from regular to beta, simply change the "www" to "beta".
In order to help the mods figure out which comments to delete, please "downvote" them.

Thank you!

P.S. If iCM had a way to notify mods of a link to delete, an easy way -- like many websites have -- a reporting function, that would work too. Until then, what I wrote above is the only way.

Total removed to date: 70+342+285=697

Total: 70
Titles reported in this thread that have been cleaned up. (March 2017-

Archive of jlfitz's & alisoncm's links cleaned up: http://www.icmforum.com/blog/entry/3162912/42794/
Edited by wowwee123, May 4 2017, 07:49:47 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't know about a reporting function, but it seems we've agreed to delete broken links. So if you report them here in this thread we'll delete them.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Nathan Treadway
Member Avatar
See my signature!
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PeacefulAnarchy
Mar 30 2017, 12:52:11 AM
I don't know about a reporting function, but it seems we've agreed to delete broken links. So if you report them here in this thread we'll delete them.
Sweet!

I don't have too many to go through, and unless you are working on certain unofficial lists, you probably won't run into them very often, but, yeah, I do try to do this from time to time.

Someone like jfitz, who has hundreds, it may be more cumbersome.

Ebbywebby
Member Avatar
Movie Star
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
wowwee123
Mar 30 2017, 12:31:36 AM
The icheckmovies.com site has a "down vote" function. When I come across a link that is no good, I'll down vote. Others have down voted mine too. I just now, right before writing this, went through my comments and all those with links and down votes, I deleted those that are not working anymore.

If you are one of those who also post links, please do everyone a favor, and from time to time go through your comments and if those links are down voted and the link is no good to delete that comment.
I couldn't agree with this more, and I steadily give down votes to dead-link comments. I don't know if I've ever seen a downvote on a link that *I* shared, but I haven't shared all that many links and I periodically go through them and just "manually" see if they're still working.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/eye+music+in+red+major/comments/ (both comments)
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 06:24:21 AM.

jvv
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
While I agree with this in principle, it would be so much easier if we could sort our comments by number of downvotes.

Scrolling through 1466 comments to delete 9 is not fun.

Gershwin
Member Avatar
Walk off Frame
jvv
Mar 30 2017, 08:28:43 AM
While I agree with this in principle, it would be so much easier if we could sort our comments by number of downvotes.

Maybe that will work when iCM 3.0 is ready. :whistling:

AdamH
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Is 3.0 still happening?

3eyes
Member Avatar
Gaffer
I tried to request that a movie (IMBctt#) be added to ICM the other day and was shunted to beta (I guess that's 3.0) - there didn't seem to be any other way, so I posted it but it hasn't been added yet. It used to happen fairly promptly. What to do about that?
Edited by 3eyes, Mar 30 2017, 02:01:55 PM.

mathiasa
No Avatar
Oscar Nominee
 *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What would be great is a list with all movies that have such source (rather than review, etc) link comments.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
mathiasa
Mar 30 2017, 02:29:05 PM
What would be great is a list with all movies that have such source (rather than review, etc) link comments.
It would probably be too much to have such a list, currently there's over 14,000 titles-- and that's on official lists. What about titles that are not on official lists?

Include Netflix? Amazon prime? Youtube, as well as other websites? They all have a common denominator... it can be unavailable at any time. On the actual title page in the comments is the best place. But it gets too cluttered with all the dead links. There needs to be a solution that fixes this.

On another note, there's so many titles that are "lost" and impossible to see the film today. Perhaps that could be added to the title on the official list, in brackets for example -- XYZ Title [Lost film]. I won't need to spend time looking on that films page for comments about it, or links, to only find it's a lost film. If that status were ever to change, then someone would alert a mod--to change that status, with proof.

monty
Member Avatar
Courtesy of the IMDb Mafia
wowwee123
Mar 30 2017, 06:33:23 PM
On another note, there's so many titles that are "lost" and impossible to see the film today. Perhaps that could be added to the title on the official list, in brackets for example -- XYZ Title [Lost film]. I won't need to spend time looking on that films page for comments about it, or links, to only find it's a lost film. If that status were ever to change, then someone would alert a mod--to change that status, with proof.
I'm afraid the cheetah patrol will have none of that.

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
There really aren't that many official checks that are actually lost. I would wager less than 10. A lot more than that are not reasonably available, but "reasonably available" is a very loose standard that varies from person to person.

Cippenham
No Avatar
Above average
I added a lot of links in the past that probably don't work now but am not going to go through and check so it's a good idea to clean them up
Edited by Cippenham, Mar 30 2017, 06:42:40 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Cippenham
Mar 30 2017, 06:42:07 PM
I added a lot of links in the past that probably don't work now but am not going to go through and check so it's a good idea to clean them up
Totally understandable. The most practical thing to do, is that everyone can post here for dead links they came across. The mods can remove those links.

I think PA was also going to start a topic for reporting dead links on the official forum.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PeacefulAnarchy
Mar 30 2017, 06:38:29 PM
There really aren't that many official checks that are actually lost. I would wager less than 10. A lot more than that are not reasonably available, but "reasonably available" is a very loose standard that varies from person to person.
I have found a personal work around these titles, I'm "Disliking it" without checking it, this way I can skip over these titles when going through the lists. This also works for me in skipping titles that I don't want to ever see... can always go back and recheck all these skipped titles at a later date.

bal3x
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Good initiative! I used to post some YT links earlier, but realized they change so often that there's really no point so I already deleted all of mine.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Update: [Dead Links] have been removed from here.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/las+hurdes/comments/#comments
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 06:28:36 AM.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/hotel+des+invalides/comments/
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 06:29:04 AM.

xianjiro
Member Avatar
reporting from Kakistan
jvv

:thumbsup: +1

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
xianjiro
Mar 31 2017, 12:51:03 AM
jvv

:thumbsup: +1
Do it a few pages of comments a day... keep track of where you're up to and continue where left off.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/mediterranee/comments/
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 06:29:35 AM.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
PeacefulAnarchy
Mar 30 2017, 12:52:11 AM
Do you have any suggestions about how you would like the reporting to be? What would make it easier for you? Or just have us post links to the comments section of a title? I updated the postings I started to update that dead links were removed. Perhaps in future, all the ones you check from here, edit that posting "dealt with" or something similar?

What about I post in the thread, and update in the opening posting the same info, and then you can edit that posting with a strike through of what you fixed?

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Posts like you've been doing are fine. It'd be better if the links went to the beta version though, save me/us some clicks. I probably should mention when they've been edited, I've just been doing them when I have a spare minute and didn't think of it.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I avoid the Beta as much as possible. Posts by others, I'd simply quote them and mark as dealt with?
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 06:44:53 AM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
No need to mark them or something like that. When you post a link, a mod will deal with it and post "done" as a reply. That's also how it's done with updating IMDb-info or removing duplicates.

The easiest for us is if someone posts a link to the comments-section on the beta and also mention which comment (username + how long ago) should be deleted. In some cases there's just one link, but if there are more, it saves us a lot of time if the posters tells us which link to remove.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/a+dogs+life/comments/ (bottom 3 comments)

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
done

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/hard+luck/comments/ - 3rd and last comment

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+goat/comments/ - 2nd from bottom

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
Did those two.

Can you please link to the beta? It saves me three clicks every time and the order of the comments in the beta is different from the order in 2.0 (at least for me...), so I need to find out myself which comments you mean.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sure, please guide me to how to share a beta link after copying it from the non-beta. I personally only use the non-beta whenever possible. Thanks.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/le+franc/comments/ - all three comments

https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/le+franc/comments/
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 05:04:56 PM.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
wowwee123
Mar 31 2017, 04:53:52 PM
Sure, please guide me to how to share a beta link after copying it from the non-beta. I personally only use the non-beta whenever possible. Thanks.
When you're on a movie-page, there's a line saying "Pssst, want to check out Il mulino delle donne di pietra in our new look?" Click on that line and you're at the beta-page of that movie. Then go to comments there.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
wowwee123
Mar 31 2017, 05:02:08 PM
Done. Also removed the comment by mathiasa, that my link wasn't working anymore. I'll do that always in such cases.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I can also add beta to the link I noticed, the other comment is also extinct.

joachimt
Member Avatar
Teacher
wowwee123
Mar 31 2017, 05:06:00 PM
I can also add beta to the link I noticed, the other comment is also extinct.
Ah, right. That's easier.

That other link is working for me. Might be region-restricted.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joachimt
Mar 31 2017, 05:10:12 PM
Ah, right. That's easier.

That other link is working for me. Might be region-restricted.
Ok. This is what it says on the video.
Quote:

This video is not available.

Sorry about that.
Edited by wowwee123, Mar 31 2017, 05:19:47 PM.

brokenface
Member Avatar
Modestly Priced Receptacle
Good thinking. I went through and deleted about 15-20 of my comments where the link was dead.

wowwee123
Member Avatar
 *  *  *  *  *  * ]
https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/the+high+sign/comments/

I'm noticing a different ordering between the "beta" and "non beta" -- at least one of the links is no good. Should I post the actual comment without the commenters name?

PeacefulAnarchy
Member Avatar
Walk of Fame
Done. I don't know about joachim but I'll just check all the links anyway so I'm not fussed about the comment ordering.
The order in the beta is by date (as it should be) while the live site defaults to upvote/downvote ordering.

In case anyone is wondering, I've decided not to delete comments, I'll replace the whole link with [dead link] if the video or account is deleted, I'll replace the youtube part but keep the video identifier if it says video unavailable, since sometimes videos reappear or people may want to find the original uploader on youtube.
Edited by PeacefulAnarchy, Mar 31 2017, 06:42:09 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · List Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages:

Via Domus created by Steve of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone